Saturday, May 20, 2006

Construction of China's Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River is expected to be completed today

When the whole project is finished in 2009 will be the world's biggest flood control and hydropower station. The final cost, estimated at US$10.8 billion in 1993, is expected to reach US$25 billion.

Environmentalists fear the project will cause severe pollution and silting by slowing the river's flow with waste from the remnants of abandoned factory sites, homes and hospitals.

For more mind-boggling facts about the dam see Reuters Planet Ark and the Three Gorges Project Corporation web site.

1 Comments:

Blogger kunal said...

.This is a great post Dmitry. I just had one of the ‘Doh!’ moments and ran back to correct my own site before publishing my comment. You see my own comment form did not match what I’m about to advise. I get less comments than you, so never noticed any problem. I’ve changed it now anyway so here goes.


IT Provider

6:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

All views expressed here, unless otherwise stated, are my own. John Cockaday